Our Farm Honey Basil Limeade is made here at Hualani’s and the Farm Hale using ingredients directly from our organic 16-acre Farm at Hōkūala. We care for honeybee hives right here on site, and gallons of honey are harvested every few months from our hardworking honeybees. Our bountiful fruit orchard and flora give our bees everything they need, and our herbs are also grown and harvested directly from the farm. The Thai basil in this recipe is used regularly by chefs in food dishes and cocktails for Hualani’s, and lead our craft cocktail specialists to this delicious combination of honey and Thai basil limeade.
When you steep Thai basil in hot water, it gives off a beautiful purple tint that makes the final product a showstopper. This is a great summer drink served over ice and many of our owners here at Timbers Kauaʻi have spent hours debating the finer points of whether gin or whiskey give a better adult kick. Served warm, it’s a beautiful alternative to caffeine and makes a nice hot toddy to stave off a tropical chill at night.
- 1 cup lime juice – Roughly 8-12 limes
- ½ cup local farm fresh honey
- 2 cups basil leaves, loosely packed, preferably Thai
- 4 cups water
- In a medium saucepan bring water to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and add basil and cook for 8 minutes.
- Add honey and stir until fully incorporated.
- Stir in lime juice and balance honey and lime as needed.
- Refrigerate until cold. Serve over ice with a basil sprig.