Everything You Need to Know About Living in Kauai
Living in Kauai is a dream come true. Called “The Garden Island”, Kauai is full of lush rainforests, stunning natural landscapes—like the Nāpali Coast and Waimea Canyon State Park—and beautiful beaches. This 552-square-mile island is home to just over 72,000 residents who are as friendly as the island is beautiful. Here, Aloha is more than just a greeting. Aloha is a state of mind.
How to Get to (and Around) Kauai
Kauai is home to the Lihue airport, which offers direct flights to Oahu, Maui and Hawaii Island, as well as the U.S. Mainland and Canada. Our luxury homes at Timbers Resorts in Lihue are located just a few miles from the airport. Home owners even have access to a private road that goes to and from the airport in less than 10 minutes.
To navigate around the island and enjoy all that it has to offer, we recommend having access to a car. There is also a county bus that provides service from Kekaha to Princeville and Hanalei, as well as local taxi services, private car services and ride share services like Uber and Lyft.
Living in Kauai: Towns & Climate
The island of Kauai has three major regions—the North Shore including Princeville and Hanalei, the East Shore (often called the “Coconut Coast”) including Kapa’a and Lihue (where Timbers Kauai is located), and the South Shore including Koloa, Poipu and Waimea. The most densely-populated town on the island is Kapa’a (over 10,000 residents), followed by Lihue. In addition to these larger towns, the island of Kauai also includes small hamlets.
Temperatures on the island range between 69-84 degrees fahrenheit, with ocean temperatures between 71-81 degrees fahrenheit. Expect to find different microclimates around the island. Depending on where you live, you may experience dry, sunny weather all year, or frequent rain. The southern part of the island is the driest, and the North Shore sees the most rainfall. Here at Timbers Kauai, you can expect sun and pleasant weather year round.
Stores and Services
For anyone living in Kauai, it’s important to know what local services and stores are available for your day-to-day needs. A helpful list of services—outside of the amenities available at Timbers Kauai—is provided below:
- Hospitals: There are three hospitals on the island of Kauai—Kauai Veterans Memorial Hospital in Waimea, Samuel Mahelona Memorial Hospital in Kapa’a and Wilcox Memorial Hospital in Lihue
- Banking: The most prevalent local banking options on Kauai include Bank of Hawaii, First Hawaiian Bank, and Central Pacific Bank.
- Grocery Stores: The most popular grocery store chains on the island are Times Supermarket and Safeway. In addition, you’ll find a number of natural food stores and farmers markets. There is also a local Costco for bulk purchases.
- Pharmacies: Our local chain of drug stores in Hawaii is called Long’s Drugs (owned and operated by CVS Pharmacy). Pharmacies are also located within the Safeway grocery stores, Walmart and Costco.
- Home Improvement: On island, you’ll find Hardware Hawaii, Ace Hardware and Home Depot stores, in addition to smaller home improvement shops.
Things to See and Do
Outside our resort community, Kauai is home to many stunning natural landscapes and charming beach towns. Get a peek at the Nāpali Coast by boat or helicopter tour. Or, strap on your hiking boots and hit the Nāpali Coast Trail. Explorers can opt for a 2-mile day hike, or backpack the entire 11-mile trek. Waimea Canyon State Park is also not-to-be-missed—you can drive along Hwy 550 (Waimea Canyon Drive and Kokee Road) and stop at a handful of scenic overlooks with unforgettable views. You can also venture further north to view (or hike in) Kokee State Park.
For water adventures, kayak the Wailua River or snorkel at Poipu Beach. Hanalei Bay near Princeville is the go-to surfing spot on the island—though winter swells are only for experienced surfers. Kalapaki Beach and Kealia Beach are also popular for surfing.
There is so much to explore around the island and no shortage of beautiful scenery—it’s no wonder that many movies and TV shows have filmed at locations throughout Kauai. Living at Timbers Kauai offers a unique opportunity to experience the wonder of this Hawaiian Island in a luxurious oceanfront home.
For more information about owning a home at Timbers Kauai, call 808-720-6817.